A notorious New Jersey hate blogger charged in June with threatening to kill judges and lawmakers was secretly an FBI “agent provocateur” paid to disseminate right-wing rhetoric, his attorney said Wednesday.
Hal Turner, the blogger and radio personality, remains jailed pending charges over his recent online rants, which prosecutors claim amounted to an invitation for someone to kill Connecticut lawmakers and Chicago federal appeals court judges.
But behind the scenes the reformed white supremacist was holding clandestine meetings with FBI agents who taught him how to spew hate “without crossing the line,” according to his lawyer, Michael Orozco.
“As a defense attorney. It is not trivial that the very government that trained an individual where the line was is prosecuting him when he has not stepped over the line,” Orozco said.
In addition, he is banking (.pdf) on the First Amendment.
“It’s a protected political statement. He opined,” Orozco said. “He said they deserved to be killed. He did not say grab a gun and go out and do what is necessary.”
- Blogger Threatened to Murder Judges, Feds Say
- Palin Hacker Group's All-Time Greatest Hits
- Group Posts E-Mail Hacked From Palin Account — Update
- Investigative Report Reveals Hackers Terrorize the Internet for …
- 'Anonymous' Member Pleads Guilty To Scientology Web Attacks …
- How Anonymous Hackers Triumphed Over Time
Read the full story: Lawyer: FBI Paid Right-Wing Blogger Charged With Threats